Sunday, February 8, 2015

Positive / Negative Space

This poor old bush struggling for survival, 
at first appeared to be a rather uninspiring subject. 


However after some cropping 
and further thought 
I started to see an idea emerge.....
the interplay of positive /negative use of space.




In the top half of the sketch 
I used the traditional 
light (leaves) against dark (background).
While on the bottom half 
the shadowy darks play against the light reflections.



I worked on a midtone pastel paper 
with watercolour pencils and crayons 
to enhance the contrast.

Although as I review this post
I think perhaps the cropped photo 
is more successful than the sketch.
In the photo the bright greens 
allow the top to be slightly more dominant 
giving the eye a place to rest 
whereas in the sketch
both halves are equally strong
making it somewhat unsettling.

Such is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marsh Scenes