Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Battle for Supremacy

After the calm control of my last post
I decide to let loose with this pastel sketch
based on the autumn activity
 in my garden. 

As the weather turns frosty 
the virginia creeper turns bright red.
This sets up a colourful contrast 
with the vivid greens of the wild grape. 

Both have run rampant along my fenceline
engaging in a violent battle for supremacy....
who will win????

VC vs GV - Leslie Snider
A little about my process....
Usually I begin with black and white sketches 
to establish composition and colour values.



Here I was more spontaneous
allowing my reaction to the emerging shapes
 and colour relationships to dictate the composition. 



Finally the colour palette,
the majority Richeson pastels.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marsh Scenes