Monday, February 11, 2019

Exploring Abstraction

     All pictures are to some degree
 abstractions.
I mean the picture elements
 can be reduced
 to simple shapes, line colour etc.

As seen from my previous post
 I begin very abstractly 
with bold but basic shapes and colour blocks.
I then slowly refine the composition,
bringing the scene into focus,
by adding layers 
of colour and detail. 

But what if I left it out of focus?

In some ways 
that is what the Impressionists 
were trying to accomplish, 
taking into account atmospheric effects
 and losing the edges.


Blue Green Marsh - Leslie Snider

As an inveterate detailer
 I find this very difficult 
but know it is worth pursuing.

How often have you heard,
"Leave something for the viewer's imagination."

This pastel is loosely based on one of my photos
that I have spent many hours studying
and thinking about.

What do you think?


Presquile Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marsh Scenes