Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Adapting Photos for painting

Here's the inspiration...what do I do next?


Firstly, I asked myself why I wanted to paint this scene....
(no you can't say because I like it!)
It's important to be specific... 
As you're painting it will be a reminder to emphasis those aspects.
In this scene, I was attracted to the colour contrast
of turquoise water and the warm, oranges, reds of the foreground.
I also liked the contrast of broad expansive foreground
leading to the focal point into the distance.

The second step is to eliminate or change details that don't complement your overall concept.
Often the impact of a scene is spoiled with too much detail.
The sky was starkly blank so I created a softly textured sky that wouldn't detract from the rest.



Removing the colour contrasts from the finished painting here....


shows how the pattern of light and dark carries the eye through the picture.
I balanced the horizontal shadows  with the lights of the sky, water and grasses coming forward.

Here's the final picture ....

In the Distance - Leslie Snider - pastel



No comments:

Post a Comment

Marsh Scenes