Thursday, June 22, 2017

Lush Summer 2017

Lush Summer pastel Leslie Snider


Lots of recent rain means
 everything is lush and green.
As a landscape painter
 I often use greens
 that are muted
 and subordinate 
to the main features of a picture.

This photo taken along my dog walking trail
captured my imagination 
with it's lively colour and light.

In adapting it for  pastel,
 I chose strong blue greens
rather than the warm yellow greens
 of the photo.



I cropped the photo
 to zoom in on
 a more manageable composition.





With such a complex amount of detail
I did a quick thumbnail
to isolate the main features.

I liked the tree shapes 
which act as an honour guard along the path.

The verticals draw your eye down
 to the wispy wild flox. 

The touches of warm mauve and red
  help break up the masses of green.

As always it is the light
filtering through the undergrowth.
 which gives most character to this picture.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marsh Scenes